Tuesday, September 20, 2011

FEED by Mira Grant, part 2

Well, finished the book last night and I'll say the second half is a lot more solid than the first. The action was tighter, stuff actually happens, and there are lots and lots of zombies. The book stands on its own, but I will be picking up the next one in the series next time I stop by a book store.

Without giving too much away, I do wish less time had been spent in the beginning on the political stuff. I understand wanting to add context and to keep the pacing controlled until everything goes to shit in the final act, but I don't feel like the mystery/political intrigue plot was deep enough to warrant all the time spent on it. Because of the small cast and the paltry number of likely suspects, I had a good idea of who the "villian" was long before his final, "I would have gotten away with it, too," speech. If the characters (other than the narrator and her brother) had been more starkly defined and less, well, shallow, then the earlier parts of the book that dwelt on the campaign trail would have been a bit more interesting.

Even with these minor flaws, though, Grant manages to keep the action-y parts rivetting, and the final third of the book almost sings, moving from critical moment to critical moment, with enough zombie stuff to keep a zombiphile like me happy. I suppose I should have waited until I finished before posting the review, but, hey, it's my blog, right?

And last for today, did you see how I did that picture thing last entry? I am technologically inept, so that was a major high point of my day, even though it was really easy. I'm coast on that high for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment